I promised myself tonight that if I wasn't asleep by midnight I would resort to sleeping meds. But I fell asleep at 7:30 giving Jun Lan her bottle and woke up again at midnight. Oops. So here I sit in the wee morning hours, with music, email, and pot stickers. Last night's 2am snack was blue cheese bacon chips and ice cream. Apparently my self control and better judgement are also severely jet lagged.
This morning started off with more Starbucks and a brief conversation with my sweet caffeine delivering friend. After weeks of isolation from family and friends it was like a breath of fresh air.
Elijah did have his first day of school today, so it was a good thing that we brought him. :) He had a great day!
Jury is out on whether things are easier with the boys at school during the day or when they are home. A fabulously quiet house on one hand, and an entertained toddler on the other. They continue to be smitten with her and she is thoroughly amused by their goofy antics.
She is terrified of the vacuum. We have four kids and two big dogs. I hereby declare an exemption from judgement regarding the dust bunnies and hairballs that will soon be the size of Texas.
Our first doctor's appointment was today. The hour long wait to be seen was a bit discouraging, especially with two toddlers in tow. When the doctor finally entered, Jun Lan ran across the room to her with open arms to be picked up and snuggled. The doctor was thrilled. We were crushed. Looks like we have our attachment work cut out for us. Pretty normal for a child who spent years in an institution with multiple caregivers and no concept of parents or family. And yet, not one bit healthy. The short answer is for us to keep circling our wagons at home with only our family, so a circling we will go...
The medical portion of this visit went well overall. She was patient and calm during the exam and screamed only when they brought out the syringe to draw blood for the many tests to be run. She was quite brave though and calmed down quickly.
We made a brief stop to shoe shop on the way home since her special shoes are beginning to fall apart. She happily tried on several pairs and then asked to try on a pair of pants that caught her eye (too big, but fun to try). On a similar note, she has become quite attached to her hair bows and will point to her head if it is missing. I think we might have a girly girl on our hands.
My lovely Chinese friend sent over some congee, pot stickers, and steamed buns for our dinner. Yum!
The buns brought back memories of our breakfasts in China. And I almost can't believe it - especially since we were so happy to finally get home - but I truly miss that place. I bet she does too. So I pray for her heart, that she would continue to adjust and gain comfort in her new country, home, and family. We're excited for her to run into our family's open arms - without a need to display beauty or charm - and stay there to her heart's content.
p.s. The masses (led by the lovely Laura Siebert) are demanding a new sibling shot. You ask, I deliver. Won't be much more than cell phone shots until I start sleeping through the night...unless someone else wants to try their hand at capturing these monkeys in photos. Didn't think so. ;) But they sure are cute together, huh?
No comments:
Post a Comment