Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Thursday (day five)


I almost made it past 9 pm tonight. Kinda like I almost stayed asleep past midnight. Yet here I am again...with steamed buns and facebook in the wee morning hours. If my husband finds me like this again tomorrow night, he may have me committed. Just a heads up so ya'll will know where to find me. I sure hope they have steamed buns in the looney bin.

Tonight I won the parental lottery and got to attend our older boys' Back to School night in order to officially meet their teachers and see their classrooms. I honestly can't recall us ever arguing before about who would be the lucky one to go to this event, but being cooped up isolation will do strange things to people. The meetings went right up until 8 pm, so I hope that my boys' new teachers won't hold my yawn fest against them. I wanted to tape a message to my forehead that proclaimed, "It's jet lag, not boredom. I swear."

On a sleep (or lack of sleep) related note, co-sleeping with our daughter isn't as magical as we'd hoped. Well, the sleeping part is great, when it actually happens. But the teeth grinding, somersault turning, ninja kicking, and karate chopping result in a bit more parental abuse than we'd anticipated. She, however, seems to enjoy our sleeping arrangement immensely. What to do, what to do...

She appears to be warming up to our two dogs. That is, as long as they don't walk toward, look at, or touch her. She'll even reach out to pet them from time to time, as long as we are securely holding her and if they are looking the other way. The dogs, on the other hand, seem somewhat offended by their new housemate. And I get it. If someone shrieked every time I came around the corner, I'd feel lousy too.

She continues to be a hoot, and is an incredible imitator. We have to watch our actions carefully, because she'll sometimes pick up the wrong things. It goes a bit like this. I'll point to a something like a tomato and say "tomato", then randomly scratch my arm. She will point to the tomato too. And then she'll scratch her arm. Who knows what we've screwed up already in that sweet mind of hers.

She still doesn't talk much, but she appears to be understanding a lot. For example, I asked Randy where Elijah was. Randy told me that he had fallen asleep on the couch. Jun Lan overheard this and pointed toward where he was, put her hands under the side of her face, and tilted her head as if to say "sleep". She knew exactly what we were talking about. She is one smart cookie.

Speaking of food, our very hungry caterpillar's appetite finally slowed down once we arrived home. It worries me a bit to see her refusing some foods, because she truly does need to do some catching up growth wise. But, considering that her 22 lb frame was packing in more food than a linebacker, scaling back a bit is probably best in the long run. And the good news is that she is starting to trust that we will provide food for her and that food will not be withheld in her new life. That is huge.

She never refuses watermelon juice, however. And wears a cute red mustache to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment