Most people love
babies. However, most people do not love
hanging out with babies in the pint-sized jail otherwise known as the church
nursery.
I served my tour of nursery duty on three (yes, three) of
the Sundays prior to our China departure.
I tried to look on the bright side of this sentence - er,
opportunity. After all, my youngest son is nearly five, so my baby/toddler
skills have faded. I needed the practice.
And, truly, it wasn’t so bad. On the third Sunday I had a
light bulb moment. The thing that makes people hope and pray that they aren’t
picked for nursery duty isn’t the actual caring for babies part. It’s that,
every Sunday, without fail, there are babies that don’t want to be cared for. At least, not cared for by nursery workers.
By strangers.
I thought about this as I tried to console one particularly
sad little boy that day. I offered him toy after toy, snack after sippy drink,
rocking chair after bouncing walk. No song, game, or comfort would help his
grief. He wanted his parents.
He wanted familiar.
And then, I remembered what is about to take place for my
daughter-to-be. And my heart ached.
In a less than two days, she will be taken from everything
she has ever known. The orphanage hustle and bustle, the blur of caretakers and
volunteers, the other children and friends. The flowered toddler chair, the
giant Hello Kitty doll, and the meal table that comes up to her forehead.
Thankfully, she will be taken from hunger, from inattention,
from peeling green paint, from rickety wooden cribs, and from urine soaked
outfits.
From watching roommates die.
But she will be taken from so much more. She will be thrust
into the arms of two people who look, talk, smell, and act different from what
she is used to. We will eat strange food, wear strange clothes, and make
strange gestures. Twelve days later she’ll board an airplane and leave behind
even more: her culture, language, and people. Her roots. And no matter how much
we cherish her heritage and honor her past, it will still be a traumatic. It
will still be a loss. When she someday walks the streets of her birth city, she
will be more likely to feel like a foreigner than the ethnically Chinese person
that she will always be. A complete outsider in the land to which she once
belonged.
I’ve followed other adoptive families as they chronicle
their new children’s transitions. Many have found the depths of their children’s
grief to be shocking, no matter how prepared they thought they were beforehand.
Some children completely shut down and appear unresponsive, even demonstrating autistic-like
behaviors for days. Others stop eating, drinking, or sleeping. Still others
stay in “charm mode” for a period, then their grief breaks free once they
arrive to their new home, or even several months later.
It’s a bit ironic that one of the comments we’ve heard most
about out impending adoption is that “She is going to be SO HAPPY!” And while we
certainly hope that she will eventually feel happiness, my hunch is that she
will feel a lot like the babies in the church nursery. Maybe multiplied by a
million. Plus, she had no choice in what is about to take place. We pray that
she will someday agree that our decision was the best for her. But it won’t make
the potential anguish any easier right now.
My desire is that we will be enough for her during this
transition, but I know in my heart that we cannot. So I hope that our prayers
will fill in the gaps, comfort her grief, heal her wounds, and allow her to
accept our love.
*Our daughter will be placed in our arms at around 2:30 pm Monday
afternoon, which is 2:30 am Monday in the States. Prayers are much appreciated!*
Well said Stacy. will be praying for all of you.
ReplyDeletepraying for your sweet family. This adoption journey is not for the weak hearted!! Praying for Gods good provisions for all of you!
ReplyDeleteBeautifully said and as a mama who has walked this road before and is on it once again...what you've written is so very true. Hold fast. It's a beautiful and terrible prospect. But God is good in all things. Rest well. You're so close!
ReplyDeleteOhhhh reading this makes me feel like I am right there with you. I love this perspective, one I am sure many do not think about. I am sure there will be many obstacles along the way but you have already gone through so many and so has she. I am quite confident that having you for a mommy will end up being the best decision ever made for your daughter-to-be. Many many prayers are with you over this next few weeks. I cannot stop thinking about it and feel blessed to get to follow the entire story through your gift of words. I love you my friend and cannot wait to meet her in person.
ReplyDelete~Niki