It's something I've suspected for years. Shopping for little girls is more fun than shopping for boys.
Of course, people assured me that I wasn't missing out. That dresses, hair
bows, and the color pink hold no special merit. After all, boys get
clip-on ties, newsboy caps, and various shades of blue.
I like blue. I really do.
But.
There is a reason that the girls'
sections are one and a half times that of boys. A few stores make a
respectable effort to even things out. But some don't even try to hide
it; the boys' area is tucked into a small corner in the back, past the
giant sea of pink. Other stores don't even attempt to sell boys'
clothes. Garnet Hill
ditched their boys' stuff a while back. I don't think Justice or Matilda
Jane have ever sold boy things (although I won't pretend to have ever been in a Justice store, nor do I know anything about
MJ...I hear it takes a pinky swear and a secret handshake
to even place an order).
Point is, the boy choices just aren't
as fun.
And I won't speak for all boys, but mine don't even like clothes (not that all girls do either - I get that too). All three of my boys are happy as clams to wear the same stained, holey tee for
as long as humanly possible. In fact, they'd choose that in a second over
a cute collared counterpart. And even though I adore my little
men no matter what they wear, their disdain for clothes does turn
shopping into something akin to torture rather than a fun experience.
Back to the big cover up. Moms of girls tried to keep their secret safe.
You'll get tired of pink. (Good thing it comes in many shades!)
Dressing girls seems like fun...until you experience the drama. (People, I am one of four daughters. Enough said.)
Count your blessings that you don't have to buy for girls. It breaks the bank! (Enter the magical world of consignment shopping!)
But now that I get to venture to the other side of the store, I know the truth.
There's something over there for everyone: tutus, jewelry, nail polish,
leggings, smocking, and headbands with flowers as big as your head.
And fun bows...
And matching diaper covers...
Even my "all boy" boys get a kick out of the cuteness! (Just don't ask them to look cute.)
And the pièce de résistance...could a boy pull off wearing a garment made from a pillowcase?
I rest my case.
(I don't own one of these yet...but I'd like to! Taken from this tutorial.)




I can make her some fun girlie clothes! Oh, how I'd love it! Let me know.
ReplyDeleteOf course you can sew! Girl, you can do anything, can't you?! I probably don't NEED any more summer clothes for her...but I surely won't argue either. :)
ReplyDelete